Yes – if you know what is important. New releases from Rolex to Patek Philippe and what to look for in a used watch.
The reality is sobering: Around 80 percent of all wrist watches are not suitable as an investment, experts say. If the return is in the foreground, collectors should focus on used watches (Beverly hills Luxury Watches), with a new clock stuck between 30 and 60 percent dealer lot in price. Those who are already satisfied with the value stability of a watch, however, may also be interested in new limited editions. Whether new or used, in general: “The brand must be attractive. Beverly hills Luxury Watches of unknown or less popular brands will not increase in value, “says Günter Eichberger, watch expert at the Vienna auction house Dorotheum.
In his opinion, the stable brands include:
- Patek Philippe
- A. Lange
- Audemars Piguet
- Vacheron Constantin
Even very popular models of these brands are suitable as a collector’s item:
- day, this year
- Jaeger LeCoultre
- Nomos glassworks
Used watches – that’s what matters
The smaller the circulation and the stronger the demand, the more interesting the watch is as an investment. “In order to develop a feel for the market, one should look around for a while at watch exchanges, talk to dealers and watchmakers and look at the offers of auction houses and stock exchanges on the Internet,” advises the Hamburg watchmaker Klaus Ohle. “Even Ebay can be enlightening to compare what prices certain models achieve,” says the Hamburg watchmaker Klaus Ohle.
Anyone looking for a used watch should pay attention to the following details:
- The watch must be in good or very good condition.
- It should have no or at most slight signs of wear.
- It should have been regularly sent to the manufacturer for revision.
How to protect yourself from counterfeiting:
- Make sure that there is a certificate.
- Ideally, the original box is present.
- A credible proof of purchase is also an advantage.
- Some retailers, such as Chronext or auction houses like the Dorotheum, check the condition, authenticity and origin of the watch before offering it.
- For Online Buyers: Become suspicious when the pictures are bad. “Today you can take sharp pictures with just about any mobile phone. If a dealer shows fuzzy pictures or omits important views, then he wants to hide something, “warns watchmaker Ohle.
- Pay attention to the number of limited editions: “Sometimes it is said to be limited to 500 or 999 copies” – but these are no real limitations, as many models do not make more than 500 or 1000 copies, “explains Ohle. This artificially creates desirability. “If a watch is limited to 10, 50 or 100 copies, it will be interesting,” says the watchmaker.
Just as important: Your Own Taste Of Beverly hills Luxury Watches
The most important criterion, all experts emphasize, is in the end the own taste. “First and foremost, you have to find the clock beautiful, then you can think about its performance,” says Philipp Man, founder of the watch trade Chronext. This estimate also confirms Oliver Hoffmann, watch expert auctioneer Auctionata: Unlike a car, the value of a good watch after the purchase does not fall. “But if he climbs, you can never know for sure,” emphasizes Hoffmann. “The fact that the watch was worn with joy for years is therefore the best return.”
New publications that are suitable as an investment
impulse has asked watch experts which brands and models of new releases they are most likely to promise potential for value: Stefan Muser, Auktionshaus Dr. med. Crott, master watchmaker Ulrich Kriescher, and Gerd-Rüdiger Lang, founder of the brand Chronoswiss, which he has now sold in Switzerland to the entrepreneurial family Ebstein.